Suas are looking for teams of volunteers to get involved next summer. Here on Sin.ie we have all the details of their excellent Volunteering Programme…
Suas is a leading mid-sized charity which works in Ireland, India and Kenya to provide quality education in under-resourced areas. We provide financial and technical assistance throughout the year to our partner schools, and recruit diverse teams of dedicated and enthusiastic young Volunteers to work in some of the most deprived areas of India and East Africa for 10 weeks every summer.
We are seeking students from a range of different backgrounds to take part in our Programme next summer and we are interested in recruiting students from across the country to form part of our diverse teams. The placement is a great way for students to gain first-hand experience of the challenges facing communities in India and East Africa, whilst learning key skills in the areas of team work, leadership and project management. Returning Volunteers also form part of a vibrant alumni network.
The Programme involves working as a teaching assistant alongside a local teacher in a community-run school, or educational project. Volunteers work and live in teams of 8 – 12 and each team has a Team Coordinator who will support their personal and professional development on placement.
Volunteers participate in academic and extra-curricular activities, including sports, IT training, drama, art, music and individual tuition – bringing energy and enthusiasm to the classrooms of our Partner Schools. Past Volunteers have also been involved in projects outside of school hours, including research for the Partner Organisation, assisting with curriculum development, and IT and office support.
The Suas Volunteer Programme offers:
- A 10 week work placement in India or East Africa.
- Comprehensive pre-departure training (3 preparation weekends), including knowledge and professional skills development (team development, language training, development modules, teaching practice, Health, Safety and Security and more).
- One week of in-country ‘Global Perspectives’ workshops to exploring global development issues. Previous workshops have been given by UNDP, UNICEF, WHO, and Concern.
- Support from Suas in Ireland to assist with your fundraising (resources, materials and training).
- Connection to a vibrant Alumni group who remain engaged with Suas projects upon their return to Ireland.
Application deadline: Monday 28th October 2013
Preparation Phase: February – June 2014
Summer Placement: June-August 2014