By Aoife Burke
After Storm Dennis recently caused power cuts that left many of us twiddling our thumbs and dying of boredom in the dark, SIN is making sure that you’re prepared for the next bad storm. With more gloomy weather forecasts ahead, or if you’re just bad at paying the electricity bills, it’s never too early to start planning for the next power cut! Our resident columnist Aoife Burke has compiled a list of the best electricity-free activities to get you through the next storm.
It’s officially storm season! So it’s the middle of the night and you hear a roll of thunder. Bang! The electricity goes. So what can you do if this happens? The most important thing is to be prepared. I have battery candles in case the lights go out. You can also use the torch on your phone. I would recommend buying a portable charger in case your phone battery runs low. So what can you do with little light and no electricity?
- KNITTING:Knitting is a fantastic pastime. It’s so easy to learn and you can knit yourself a scarfwhile the storm thunders on outside. I am currently knitting myself a beige scarf, as beige goes with everything.
- BOARD GAMES:Again,by the light of battery candles, you can play everything from Monopoly to Scrabble with family and friends.
- CARDS:Snap is a favourite game of mine and so is “JimRummey” … Maybe even poker!
- READING:If you havesufficient emergency light, how fun would it be to read ghost stories! Then again, maybe you won’t sleep…
- LISTEN TO RADIO:If your phone is still working,you can listen to music or the news.
- RAID THE FRIDGE:Before all the food and milk goes off. You can probably eat everyone’s food asthere’s no way you can tell which belongs to who.
- CALL SOMEONE:If the phone lines still work,you should check on neighbours. Also have a natter. Chances are they are going through what you are and have nothing else to do except talk.
- PLAY WITH LEGO:You are never too old forLego. Always fun!
- USE UP THE LAST OF YOUR COMPUTER BATTERY:Hopefully there’s internet
- FIND SOME PLAY DOUGH:I’m sure the young ones won’t mind sharing.
- PLAY HIDE AND SEEK IN THE DARK:You can spend endless hours with your housemates/youngfamily members trying to find each other
- CHARADES:bycandlelight. A great chance to spend time together.
- HEAT UP ALCOHOL OVER THE FIRE:Make some hot whiskeys for everyone!
If all else fails, you need tea lights and a torch. Try reading a magazine by candle light while eating that bar of chocolate you have been saving for a special occasion. Raid the freezer for ice cream and share it out. You never know when the power is coming back, so make the most of it!