By Anastasia Burton
We all worry about bacteria on everyday items such as our phones, pillowcases or the kitchen sink. But did you know that your own beloved make-up brushes can become riddled with bacteria if not washed regularly? We know it can be tedious to clean your make-up applicators, (especially if you have a lot of them) but we must all take time to care for our tools, in order for them to perform at their best. Below, we will give instructions as to how you can quickly and efficiently clean your makeup brushes, so that you can apply your makeup bacteria-free and live your best skin life!
What you will need:
– 1 Basin of lukewarm water
– 1 Brush egg (they cost around €1 in Penneys)
– 1 bottle of antibacterial soap
– 1 Towel or kitchen towels
How to wash your brushes:
1.Wet the bristles of the brushes in lukewarm water.
2. Put some antibacterial soap on top on the brush egg (if you do not own one of these you can use your hands. Just place antibacterial soap in your palm and keep rubbing the brush in circular motions until there is no more coloring coming off).
3. Clean the brush in circular motions on the brush egg until the water runs clear.
4. Dip the brush back in the lukewarm water and then dry on a towel, or even better, by hanging them upside down (pro tip: we hang ours on a shower rail with some hair ties or scrunchies!)
5. Leave the brushes out to dry for the rest of the day so that they can dry naturally themselves. If you use a hairdryer in an attempt to dry your brushes quicker, you will destroy the bristles! For this reason, make sure you don’t need to use your brushes on the day you clean them, so you can give them 24 hours to fully dry off.
How to wash beauty sponges:
1.Submerge your beauty blender in lukewarm water.
2. Place some antibacterial soap on top of your beauty sponge and rub it into the blender.
3. Keep rubbing until the foundation stain stops being visible, the water runs clear and the beauty blender is completely wet.
4. Squeeze the excess water out and leave it to dry overnight.